Why You Need Canine Liability Insurance
Whoever said, “Every dog must have his day,” may not have realized that day might be in court. Even the friendliest dogs have been known to bite. According to a recent survey by the American Pet Products Association, there are close to 90 million canine pets in the United States. As ownership is on the rise so are liability claims. It’s no wonder that dog bite insurance has gained in popularity.
Dog Bite Facts
With the exception of a few of the more aggressive breeds, most pet owners believe their dogs are harmless. However, the CDC and other agencies have some startling annual statistics.
- More than 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs in the U.S.
- One out of every five people bitten seeks medical attention.
- Approximately 400,000 children between the ages of five and nine receive medical treatment for dog bites.
- Senior citizens are the second most common victims of dog bites.
- Dog bite injuries account for more than $400 million in claims each year.
Dog Bite Coverage
Homeowner’s insurance may not cover medical and liability claims if your pooch bites someone. Dog bite insurance is typically underwritten for individual dogs. An insurance specialist can help you find the best policy to protect yourself in the event your pet bites and causes harm to another person.